Troops Arrest Seven Suspected Illegal Oil Bunkers in South South
By Zagazola Makama
Troops of the Joint Task Force South South, Operation DELTA SANITY, have arrested seven suspected illegal oil bunkerers and recovered a truck loaded with 22 empty drums in the Niger Delta.
The suspects were apprehended at about 11:00 a.m. on Aug. 19 by troops of 90 Amphibious Battalion, in conjunction with the Project Monitoring Office.
Security sources told Zagazola Makama that the suspects were intercepted with a truck conveying 22 empty drums, each with a capacity of 2,500 litres, believed to be intended for use in illegal oil bunkering activities.
The seven suspects, along with the recovered truck, are currently in military custody pending further action.
Sources said the Office of the National Security Adviser (ONSA) Special Prosecution team had been contacted to take over the suspects for further investigation and possible prosecution.
The arrest is part of ongoing operations by troops under Operation DELTA SANITY to disrupt illegal oil bunkering, protect critical oil infrastructure and curb activities that undermine the nation’s oil and gas sector.
Security forces are expected to sustain operations against criminal elements involved in the illicit exploitation and transportation of petroleum products across the Niger Delta.
